I need to quickly set up a blog to help share some neighbourly information.
NetlifyCMS is my friend.
Click “Get Started”
Choose to start with a Hugo Site Starter (since that’s what I’m familiar with); also available are Gatsby, Middleman and Preact.
Click “Deploy to Netlify” (where I already have an account)
Provide access to my Gitlab account
A few minutes later, I have a deployed barebones site, with the content stored under version control in Gitlab.
In Netlify, setup the custom domain I already own. Turn off proxying at CloudFlare so I can get the automatic HTTPS certificate that Netlify provides.
In Gitlab, move the newly created repo to my group of netlify sites
On local machine:
- clone the Gitlab repo
- create themes directory; cd themes; git clone
; git add .
- move Netlify starter site into tmp place (don’t delete, you’ll need the admin directory from it)
- copy my theme’s exampleSite in its place
- copy the site/static/admin directory from the original
- git push
- Follow https://www.netlifycms.org/docs/add-to-your-site/
- Create the basic index file, (“App File Structure”)
- Then add the Identity script (“Add the Netlify Identity Widget”)
Start adding posts…
- If you try to log in to /admin, and keep being redirected back to the login page, you haven’t set up the admin/index.html with identity correctly.